Jack O’Lantern clues for todayOctober 23,2013The biggest secret in Rutland each Halloween is the identity of the local Jack O’Lantern parade personality. Students in grades K-6 can submit guesses at their school office or at the city Recreation and Parks Department at the Godnick Center at 1 Deer St.
Guesses must be received by the close of school Friday, with Jack O’Lantern to be revealed at downtown’s Halloween Parade at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
Having taught from RMS to college
My first goal is to bring you knowledge.
Began with Tapestry back in ’03
Drama, MOVE camps, and newsletters I’ve brought thee.
Married now with children two,
My husband, also a teacher, is from the county too.
Petunia and Daisy, my cats, not flowers,
With them and my family I love to pass the hours ...
(Final clues coming Thursday.)
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.