THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
MONTPELIER — The Vermont Agriculture Agency is going to hold a webinar so Vermonters can provide feedback on rules for a new law that some say could significantly affect the state’s fruit and vegetable farmers.
The webinar will be held on Nov. 4. It will walk participants through the comment process for the Produce Safety and Preventive Control Rules.
The deadline for making comments on the Food and Drug Administration’s proposed rules to implement the Food Safety Modernization Act is Nov. 15.
The act is considered the most sweeping reform of our nation’s food safety laws in more than 70 years.
The law was signed by President Barack Obama in 2011.
When finalized, these rules will affect many Vermont vegetable and fruit growers.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool