BOSTON — Despite trading away all their top stars — and their coach — in the offseason, the Boston Celtics still know how to please a crowd.
Boston Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner brought the World Series trophy to center court before the Celtics’ home opener against the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night. They got a huge cheer from the Boston fans still giddy over Wednesday night’s victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.
The Celtics showed highlights from the World Series on the scoreboard while the Red Sox anthem “Tessie” blasted over the speakers.
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo then came out to welcome the fans — wearing a fake beard, also in tribute to the Red Sox. The trophy also attended the Boston Bruins’ game Thursday night.MORE IN Wire SportsEAST LANSING, Mich. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.