BOSTON — Despite trading away all their top stars — and their coach — in the offseason, the Boston Celtics still know how to please a crowd.
Boston Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner brought the World Series trophy to center court before the Celtics’ home opener against the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night. They got a huge cheer from the Boston fans still giddy over Wednesday night’s victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.
The Celtics showed highlights from the World Series on the scoreboard while the Red Sox anthem “Tessie” blasted over the speakers.
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo then came out to welcome the fans — wearing a fake beard, also in tribute to the Red Sox. The trophy also attended the Boston Bruins’ game Thursday night.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.