Fire damages Rutland City homeStaff Report | November 10,2013A fire caused heavy damage to the rear of a single-family home Saturday night in Rutland City.
No one was home at the time of the fire, which was called in at about 7:15 p.m.
City Fire Lt. Brad LaFaso said four trucks were dispatched and firefighters met with heavy smoke coming out of the rear of the house when they arrived at 15 Hopkins St.
It took about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire, LaFaso said.
“They got it down pretty quick,” he said.
The cause of the fire was undetermined at press time, but LaFaso said it started in the kitchen area of the two-story woodframe house.
The property is owned by Everett Louder. The names and number of tenants renting the home were unknown at press time.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.