Fire damages Rutland City homeStaff Report | November 10,2013A fire caused heavy damage to the rear of a single-family home Saturday night in Rutland City.
No one was home at the time of the fire, which was called in at about 7:15 p.m.
City Fire Lt. Brad LaFaso said four trucks were dispatched and firefighters met with heavy smoke coming out of the rear of the house when they arrived at 15 Hopkins St.
It took about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire, LaFaso said.
“They got it down pretty quick,” he said.
The cause of the fire was undetermined at press time, but LaFaso said it started in the kitchen area of the two-story woodframe house.
The property is owned by Everett Louder. The names and number of tenants renting the home were unknown at press time.MORE IN This Just InJust days before his crusade with cancer was lost, Sgt. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.