Early-morning fire destroys Springfield barnStaff Report | November 13,2013Len Emery Photo
Smoke billows above a residence on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning.An early morning structure fire on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning had firefighters battling a large barn and connecting outbuildings in a blaze that called crews from as far away as Ludlow.
According to reports on the scene, the fire began in an extension of the residence and spread to the barn, which housed the fine woodworking business of David Heinz, who had moved to the home in July of 2000 and established his business.
The house is still standing, but the barn is likely a total loss, and it is probably not insured.
Fire crews from Charlestown, Rockingham, Chester, Ascutney and Proctorsville assisted in putting out the stubborn fire.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.