Early-morning fire destroys Springfield barnStaff Report | November 13,2013Len Emery Photo
Smoke billows above a residence on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning.An early morning structure fire on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning had firefighters battling a large barn and connecting outbuildings in a blaze that called crews from as far away as Ludlow.
According to reports on the scene, the fire began in an extension of the residence and spread to the barn, which housed the fine woodworking business of David Heinz, who had moved to the home in July of 2000 and established his business.
The house is still standing, but the barn is likely a total loss, and it is probably not insured.
Fire crews from Charlestown, Rockingham, Chester, Ascutney and Proctorsville assisted in putting out the stubborn fire.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.