Early-morning fire destroys Springfield barnStaff Report | November 13,2013Len Emery Photo
Smoke billows above a residence on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning.An early morning structure fire on Parker Hill Road in Springfield Wednesday morning had firefighters battling a large barn and connecting outbuildings in a blaze that called crews from as far away as Ludlow.
According to reports on the scene, the fire began in an extension of the residence and spread to the barn, which housed the fine woodworking business of David Heinz, who had moved to the home in July of 2000 and established his business.
The house is still standing, but the barn is likely a total loss, and it is probably not insured.
Fire crews from Charlestown, Rockingham, Chester, Ascutney and Proctorsville assisted in putting out the stubborn fire.MORE IN This Just InA Rutland woman who spray painted a response to graffiti left outside her house was issued a... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?