Kershaw, Scherzer easily win Cy Young AwardsThe Associated Press | November 14,2013NEW YORK — Clayton Kershaw of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Max Scherzer of the Detroit Tigers have won baseball’s Cy Young Awards.
Kershaw won the prize as the National League’s best pitcher for the second time in three seasons after leading the majors with a 1.83 ERA.
The 25-year-old lefty with a big-breaking curve drew 29 of 30 first-place votes from members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in results released Wednesday. Adam Wainwright of the St. Louis Cardinals was picked first on one ballot.
Kershaw went 16-9 and topped the NL with 232 strikeouts. He won the NL Cy Young in 2011 and finished second last year.
Scherzer won the AL honor after leading the majors in wins while going 21-3. He received 28 of 30 first-place votes.MORE IN Wire SportsDETROIT — Tuukka Rask finished with a 23-save shutout to give the Boston Bruins a 3-0 win over... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.