Library hosts tax workshopNovember 14,2013Library hosting
a tax workshop
Business owners can get a head start on the tax season with a free workshop on self-audits from 7 to 8:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Rutland Free Library.
The state Department of Taxes is hosting a program called “Know What You Owe,” which urges businesses to conduct a self-audit for the Vermont use tax and pay the amount due.
Examiners from the department will answer questions and meet with participants after the workshop.
For business owners who conduct a self-audit and find they owe taxes, all penalties will be abated and the interest will be reduced by 50 percent.
To be eligible, a business must not have been previously contacted by the state for an audit or have any outstanding tax, interest or penalties.
The Rutland Free Library is located at 10 Court St.
For more information, visit www.state.vt.us/tax/selfaudit.shtml.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.