Library hosts tax workshopNovember 14,2013Library hosting
a tax workshop
Business owners can get a head start on the tax season with a free workshop on self-audits from 7 to 8:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Rutland Free Library.
The state Department of Taxes is hosting a program called “Know What You Owe,” which urges businesses to conduct a self-audit for the Vermont use tax and pay the amount due.
Examiners from the department will answer questions and meet with participants after the workshop.
For business owners who conduct a self-audit and find they owe taxes, all penalties will be abated and the interest will be reduced by 50 percent.
To be eligible, a business must not have been previously contacted by the state for an audit or have any outstanding tax, interest or penalties.
The Rutland Free Library is located at 10 Court St.
For more information, visit www.state.vt.us/tax/selfaudit.shtml.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.