Library hosts tax workshopNovember 14,2013Library hosting
a tax workshop
Business owners can get a head start on the tax season with a free workshop on self-audits from 7 to 8:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Rutland Free Library.
The state Department of Taxes is hosting a program called “Know What You Owe,” which urges businesses to conduct a self-audit for the Vermont use tax and pay the amount due.
Examiners from the department will answer questions and meet with participants after the workshop.
For business owners who conduct a self-audit and find they owe taxes, all penalties will be abated and the interest will be reduced by 50 percent.
To be eligible, a business must not have been previously contacted by the state for an audit or have any outstanding tax, interest or penalties.
The Rutland Free Library is located at 10 Court St.
For more information, visit www.state.vt.us/tax/selfaudit.shtml.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bill in Legislature proposes naming beagle Vermont state dog; Associated Press looks back at year in opiate abuse; Shapiro's in Brandon soon to close after 75 years; probe shows illegal online gun sales booming.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1861, JEFFERSON DAVIS resigns from the U.S. Senate to become president of the Confederate States of America, in 1908, NYC passes law forbidding women from smoking in public; in 1968, B-52 crashes, loses H-bomb.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Aldermen debate request for $75K from Zamias Fund for Wonderfeet museum, Bryanna Allen covers CSC Spring Convocation, proponents of sugary drinks tax meet press at State House, Neal Goswami reports revenue forecast for state.