Man accused of biting mom’s hand held in prisonStaff report | November 14,2013SANDGATE — A local man was jailed without bail after police said he assaulted a female friend and bit his 70-year-old mother.
Edward Weiss, 44, of Sandgate pleaded innocent Tuesday to a felony count of first-degree aggravated domestic assault, two misdemeanor counts of domestic assault and a misdemeanor count of simple assault.
Trooper Thomas Stange said Vermont State Police were sent to a home on Sandgate Road in Sandgate at 10:05 p.m. Monday. Stange said Weiss threatened troopers, who had to use handcuffs, leg irons and a spit hood to take him to the police barracks in Shaftsbury.
Police said Weiss was “highly intoxicated” but he refused to provide a breath sample.
Nicole Novotny, 29, told police Weiss had come to her home intoxicated and continued to drink alcohol. She said he became more violent and threatened to kill her.
She also said he punched her and knocked her to the ground, Stange said.
Novotny told police she called Weiss’ parents, Robert Weiss, 72, and Judith Weiss, 70, and said Weiss attacked them, too.
Robert Weiss said his son shoved him and, after he fell to the ground, punched him in the head. When his wife tried to get Edward Weiss to stop, police said, he bit her hand.
Judith Weiss told police a doctor said a bone might be broken in the hand bit by her son.
During Edward Weiss’ arraignment, Deputy State’s Attorney Jennifer Barrett said Weiss’ parents were “terrified” of him and didn’t want contact with him because of “past issues with drugs, alcohol and violence.”
Weiss will return to court Nov. 20 to determine if he can be released on bail.MORE IN This Just InA Rutland woman who spray painted a response to graffiti left outside her house was issued a... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?