Vt. police pursue driver on Route 2The Associated Press | November 21,2013COLCHESTER - Vermont State Police, the U.S. Border Patrol and officers from several communities were involved in stopping erratic driving by a man in truck towing a trailer on Route 2.
Police said vehicle almost struck others in South Hero on Wednesday in the oncoming lane and failed to pull over.
Police said the driver turned off and back onto Route 2 heading east. He swerved to avoid a tire deflation device and struck a marked DMV truck in Milton before heading onto Interstate 89, where he struck two police cruisers. He was stopped at the Colchester weigh station.
The driver, identified as 49-year-old Kenneth Perrotte of South Burlington, was arrested on driving under the influence, eluding a police officer, and other charges. It wasn't known if he had a lawyer.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.