Vt. lays out highway plan around Chittenden CountyThe Associated Press | November 26,2013WILLISTON - Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin and top transportation officials say they've come up with a plan to relieve traffic congestion in Chittenden County.
Shumlin was joined by Transportation Secretary Brian Searles and others today when they introduced 34 separate projects that would address mobility, congestion, safety, quality of life and economic development in the region.
Vermont officials have been struggling to decades to find a way to alleviate traffic congestion in the towns east of Burlington. A single section of what was to have been a ring road around Burlington was built, but subsequent sections were not.
The projects suggested today have an estimated total cost of $99 million.
Searles said the first projects are being designed and will be built in the coming years.MORE IN This Just InBy Amy Ash Nixon Full StoryRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.