Fire leaves tenants homelessBy Patrick McArdle
Staff Writer | November 28,2013NORTH BENNINGTON — A Thanksgiving Day fire displaced five people from a Water Street home but caused no injuries, according to North Bennington Fire Department First Assistant Chief Keith Cross.
There are three apartments in the building at 11 Water St. Cross said the structural damage caused by the fire and the efforts to put it out had left the building unsafe for the residents at least Thursday.
“This place is shut down. There’s holes going through the roof, holes going through the third floor and second floor where the hot water tank’s ready to fall right through, so, naw, ain’t nobody going to be staying here,” he said.
The fire was reported around 1:30 p.m. Thursday. Most of the firefighters had cleared the scene by around 3:15 p.m.
Cross said the cause of the fire seemed to be electrical. The fire’s source was tracked to wiring between the second and third floor apartments.
“Once it broke through, it started going up through the walls, started going up into the attic area,” he said.
Assisting the North Bennington Fire Department were the Bennington, Bennington Rural, Shaftsbury and Pownal fire departments from Vermont and the North Hoosick Falls Fire Department from New York. North Bennington is on the border between Vermont and New York.
At the scene, Helen Morey, who lived in the apartment on the first floor, said she didn’t know anything about the fire until firefighters were “pounding on (her) door” and telling her she had to leave. Morey said she lives alone and wasn’t concerned that she wouldn’t find a place to stay until she could return to her home.
Morey also said the man who lives on the third floor was away at the time of the fire.
The three residents of the second floor apartment are Bennington College students. Bela Figge, a student from Germany, said he and his roommates, a woman from France and a man from Colorado, heard “several popping explosions” and smelled and heard smoke.
Figge said he was mostly concerned Thursday with whether or not he and his roommates would be able to return to the apartment because he had seen that some of the walls and ceiling were partially destroyed.
Jamie Carrey, the owner of the building, said it was about 100 years old and one of the older homes in the village. As firefighters were cleaning up the site, he said he was primarily pleased that no one was hurt in the fire.
Cross said representatives of the American Red Cross were on their way Thursday afternoon to help Morey. Figge said the college was going to provide housing for him and his roommates.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.