Motorist charged in connection with crash that killed Vt. manThe Associated Press | November 29,2013WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - A Rhode Island man involved in a fatal traffic crash in western Massachusetts is facing drunken driving and vehicular homicide charges.
Authorities say 34-year-old William Lowe of Pawtucket, R.I., is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Northern Berkshire District Court in connection with the crash last weekend in Williamstown.
Police told The Berkshire Eagle that Lowe had an open container of alcohol and was speeding in his Ford Explorer at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday when he crossed the center line and struck a car driven by 64-year-old Lawrence George, Pownal, Vt.
George was pronounced dead at the scene. Lowe and a passenger were hospitalized.
Lowe was arrested Wednesday at Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield. He is being held without bail. It's not known if he has a lawyer.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.