Motorist charged in connection with crash that killed Vt. manThe Associated Press | November 29,2013WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - A Rhode Island man involved in a fatal traffic crash in western Massachusetts is facing drunken driving and vehicular homicide charges.
Authorities say 34-year-old William Lowe of Pawtucket, R.I., is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Northern Berkshire District Court in connection with the crash last weekend in Williamstown.
Police told The Berkshire Eagle that Lowe had an open container of alcohol and was speeding in his Ford Explorer at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday when he crossed the center line and struck a car driven by 64-year-old Lawrence George, Pownal, Vt.
George was pronounced dead at the scene. Lowe and a passenger were hospitalized.
Lowe was arrested Wednesday at Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield. He is being held without bail. It's not known if he has a lawyer.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.