Motorist charged in connection with crash that killed Vt. manThe Associated Press | November 29,2013WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - A Rhode Island man involved in a fatal traffic crash in western Massachusetts is facing drunken driving and vehicular homicide charges.
Authorities say 34-year-old William Lowe of Pawtucket, R.I., is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Northern Berkshire District Court in connection with the crash last weekend in Williamstown.
Police told The Berkshire Eagle that Lowe had an open container of alcohol and was speeding in his Ford Explorer at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday when he crossed the center line and struck a car driven by 64-year-old Lawrence George, Pownal, Vt.
George was pronounced dead at the scene. Lowe and a passenger were hospitalized.
Lowe was arrested Wednesday at Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield. He is being held without bail. It's not known if he has a lawyer.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.