2 men deny shooting charges in Vt.The Associated Press | November 29,2013NEWPORT - A Vermont man has been accused of shooting a gun at a woman and another is accused of driving the getaway car.
Twenty-six-year-old Jeffrey Mitchell pleaded not guilty this week in Orleans Superior Court to aggravated assault with a weapon. Twenty-four-year-old Christopher Degreenia pleaded not guilty to aiding in the commission of aggravated assault. Both are from Sheffield.
The Caledonian-Record reported that a woman called 911 in July to report that a man fired a weapon at her from a car. She was not hit. The woman said she heard from her roommate, who believed the shooter was a former boyfriend who had threatened her. They have a daughter.
Mitchell told police the ex-girlfriend was "crazy" and probably made up the story to keep the child away from him.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.