2 men deny shooting charges in Vt.The Associated Press | November 29,2013NEWPORT - A Vermont man has been accused of shooting a gun at a woman and another is accused of driving the getaway car.
Twenty-six-year-old Jeffrey Mitchell pleaded not guilty this week in Orleans Superior Court to aggravated assault with a weapon. Twenty-four-year-old Christopher Degreenia pleaded not guilty to aiding in the commission of aggravated assault. Both are from Sheffield.
The Caledonian-Record reported that a woman called 911 in July to report that a man fired a weapon at her from a car. She was not hit. The woman said she heard from her roommate, who believed the shooter was a former boyfriend who had threatened her. They have a daughter.
Mitchell told police the ex-girlfriend was "crazy" and probably made up the story to keep the child away from him.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.