THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BOSTON — A person familiar with the deal tells The Associated Press that the Boston Red Sox have agreed with reliever Edward Mujica on a two-year deal.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity Thursday because the deal was pending a physical and had not been announced. The 29-year-old Mujica gives the Red Sox some protection if soon-to-be 39-year-old closer Koji Uehara cannot repeat his 2013 performance next season.
Mujica was 2-1 with 37 saves and a 2.78 ERA for the National League champion St. Louis Cardinals last season. He made two appearances in the playoffs, giving up one run in two innings. He did not appear in the World Series against the Red Sox.
In an eight-year career, the right-handed Venezuelan has a 19-19 record with 41 saves and a 3.75 ERA.
$24M deal with
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins have signed former Yankees right-hander Phil Hughes to a $24 million, three-year contract.
The Twins reached agreement with Hughes last week and finished it on Thursday after the 27-year-old passed his physical. Hughes went 4-14 with a 5.19 ERA for the Yankees last season.
The Twins are hoping that a move out of hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium to spacious Target Field will help Hughes rediscover the promise he showed earlier in his career. Hughes was a first-round draft pick and an All-Star in 2010.
Twins starters had the worst ERA in baseball last season, so GM Terry Ryan has been aggressive in trying to upgrade the staff.
The Twins signed right-hander Ricky Nolasco to a $49 million, four-year contract Tuesday.MORE IN Wire SportsMIAMI — Before the season started, a poll suggested that the Miami Heat were the overwhelming... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.