THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BOSTON — A person familiar with the deal tells The Associated Press that the Boston Red Sox have agreed with reliever Edward Mujica on a two-year deal.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity Thursday because the deal was pending a physical and had not been announced. The 29-year-old Mujica gives the Red Sox some protection if soon-to-be 39-year-old closer Koji Uehara cannot repeat his 2013 performance next season.
Mujica was 2-1 with 37 saves and a 2.78 ERA for the National League champion St. Louis Cardinals last season. He made two appearances in the playoffs, giving up one run in two innings. He did not appear in the World Series against the Red Sox.
In an eight-year career, the right-handed Venezuelan has a 19-19 record with 41 saves and a 3.75 ERA.
$24M deal with
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins have signed former Yankees right-hander Phil Hughes to a $24 million, three-year contract.
The Twins reached agreement with Hughes last week and finished it on Thursday after the 27-year-old passed his physical. Hughes went 4-14 with a 5.19 ERA for the Yankees last season.
The Twins are hoping that a move out of hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium to spacious Target Field will help Hughes rediscover the promise he showed earlier in his career. Hughes was a first-round draft pick and an All-Star in 2010.
Twins starters had the worst ERA in baseball last season, so GM Terry Ryan has been aggressive in trying to upgrade the staff.
The Twins signed right-hander Ricky Nolasco to a $49 million, four-year contract Tuesday.MORE IN Wire SportsTORONTO — Armed with his best curveball of the season, Toronto Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Full StoryATLANTA — Jacob Turner allowed two runs in his bid for a permanent return to Miami’s rotation and... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?