THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BOSTON — A person familiar with the deal tells The Associated Press that the Boston Red Sox have agreed with reliever Edward Mujica on a two-year deal.
The person spoke on the condition of anonymity Thursday because the deal was pending a physical and had not been announced. The 29-year-old Mujica gives the Red Sox some protection if soon-to-be 39-year-old closer Koji Uehara cannot repeat his 2013 performance next season.
Mujica was 2-1 with 37 saves and a 2.78 ERA for the National League champion St. Louis Cardinals last season. He made two appearances in the playoffs, giving up one run in two innings. He did not appear in the World Series against the Red Sox.
In an eight-year career, the right-handed Venezuelan has a 19-19 record with 41 saves and a 3.75 ERA.
$24M deal with
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins have signed former Yankees right-hander Phil Hughes to a $24 million, three-year contract.
The Twins reached agreement with Hughes last week and finished it on Thursday after the 27-year-old passed his physical. Hughes went 4-14 with a 5.19 ERA for the Yankees last season.
The Twins are hoping that a move out of hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium to spacious Target Field will help Hughes rediscover the promise he showed earlier in his career. Hughes was a first-round draft pick and an All-Star in 2010.
Twins starters had the worst ERA in baseball last season, so GM Terry Ryan has been aggressive in trying to upgrade the staff.
The Twins signed right-hander Ricky Nolasco to a $49 million, four-year contract Tuesday.MORE IN Wire SportsEAST LANSING, Mich. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.