Leahy: Mandela is a "legand for our times and for the ages"Staff Report | December 06,2013Comments Of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt., President Pro Tempore Of The Senate) On The Death Of Nelson Mandela
December 5, 2013:
Nelson Mandela is a legend for our times and for the ages. He was the world’s compass through the dark night of South African apartheid, leading his country into the light. The images of his walk to freedom through the prison gates are etched in our memories and on the pages of history.
His courage is a lesson to us all, and so is his selflessness. I will always cherish the memory of meeting with him when he came to the Capitol in 1994. I had the honor of serving on the Senate’s escort committee to accompany him to the House Chamber for his address to a joint meeting of Congress. Sitting together in a room off the House floor, I said to him, “Mr. President, you spent decades in prison, unjustly, yet you don’t seem bitter.” He replied, “Patrick, because of my imprisonment I was able to lead my country out of apartheid. For that I do not feel bitterness, but joy.”
The world, his beloved nation and humankind are incalculably richer for his leadership and for his example.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.