Vt. police say DNA linked killer to burglaryThe Associated Press | December 06,2013GUILDHALL - A Vermont man convicted of killing a baby 20 years ago has been charged with burglary after police say DNA linked him to a blood-spattered pamphlet at the crime scene.
Forty-three-year-old Shawn Boyd pleaded not guilty to felony burglary and unlawful mischief in Essex Superior Court Thursday and is being held on $10,000 bail.
Police say Boyd smashed the front door of the Moose Look Cafe in Concord last Christmas Eve last year and stole $7 from the cash register.
The Caledonian-Record reported that prosecutors are charging Boyd as a habitual offender because he has three prior felony convictions, including one for manslaughter.
Police say Boyd also goes by Shawn Ely and was sent to prison in 1998 after being convicted of beating to death a 2-year-old boy.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.