Vt. man charged in fatal crashDecember 07,2013Vt. man charged
in fatal crash
VERNON ó Vermont police have charged a 20-year-old Vernon man in a head-on crash in June that killed his 22-year-old passenger.
Edward Class III faces felony charges of gross negligent operation resulting in death and driving under the influence of alcohol in the death of Tanya May of Readsboro.
Investigators said Class was driving a 2000 Nissan Maxima north on Route 142 in Vernon on June 8 when he veered into the southbound lane and struck a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Responders had to use extrication tools to get Class and May out of the Nissan. May died four days later. The driver of the Jeep suffered minor injuries.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that Class is due in Brattleboro criminal court Tuesday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.