Vt. man charged in fatal crashDecember 07,2013Vt. man charged
in fatal crash
VERNON — Vermont police have charged a 20-year-old Vernon man in a head-on crash in June that killed his 22-year-old passenger.
Edward Class III faces felony charges of gross negligent operation resulting in death and driving under the influence of alcohol in the death of Tanya May of Readsboro.
Investigators said Class was driving a 2000 Nissan Maxima north on Route 142 in Vernon on June 8 when he veered into the southbound lane and struck a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Responders had to use extrication tools to get Class and May out of the Nissan. May died four days later. The driver of the Jeep suffered minor injuries.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that Class is due in Brattleboro criminal court Tuesday.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.