Vt ag agency urges care for farmers, pet ownersDecember 25,2013MONTPELIER ó The Vermont Agency of Agriculture is urging farmers and pet owners to be cautious as ice storm power outages linger.
Agency officials offered the advice as the weather forecast indicates that temperatures will remain low through the week, not allowing accumulated ice to melt. And with high winds forecast, there could be more damage to power lines and thus more outages.
The agency says people should be prepared to be without power for several days.
People should make sure they have enough pet food, necessary medications, and other supplies to last for a week. Pets should be brought inside.
If milk trucks canít reach dairy farms, farmers should be prepared to dispose of excess milk in a suitable location while recording the amount of milk that is disposed of.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.