Police report several crashes on icy roads, one involving trooperThe Associated Press | December 26,2013MONTPELIER - Vermont State Police are urging drivers to be extremely careful on Interstate 89, where ice has caused several accidents, including one involving a state trooper.
Trooper Ben Katz was heading south on Interstate 89 when his cruiser went off the road in Williston, flipped over and landed wheels down in the median. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Meanwhile, about 600 people remain without power following the ice storm that hit the region over the weekend.
The Vermont Electric Coop reported about 740 customers without power Thursday afternoon. The company estimates most repairs will made by late Thursday night.
The website VToutages.com also reports about 275 outages among customers of the Enosburg Falls Water and Light Department and 15 among Green Mountain Power customers.MORE IN This Just InThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.