Police report several crashes on icy roads, one involving trooperThe Associated Press | December 26,2013MONTPELIER - Vermont State Police are urging drivers to be extremely careful on Interstate 89, where ice has caused several accidents, including one involving a state trooper.
Trooper Ben Katz was heading south on Interstate 89 when his cruiser went off the road in Williston, flipped over and landed wheels down in the median. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Meanwhile, about 600 people remain without power following the ice storm that hit the region over the weekend.
The Vermont Electric Coop reported about 740 customers without power Thursday afternoon. The company estimates most repairs will made by late Thursday night.
The website VToutages.com also reports about 275 outages among customers of the Enosburg Falls Water and Light Department and 15 among Green Mountain Power customers.MORE IN This Just InThe nephew of the mayor of Rutland City has pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute heroin. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.