Rustic base lodge
to be welcome site
STOWE — An 86-year-old building that has served as a rustic base lodge, hostel and gift shop at the southern foot of Smugglers’ Notch in Vermont is being turned into a state-run welcome center.
Seth Jensen of the Lamoille County Planning Commission told Vermont Public Radio that the Barnes Camp was built in 1927 and used by hikers and skiers before the opening of Stowe Mountain Resort.
The resort has been using it for storage for several decades, but the state plans to re-open it in the spring as a visitor’s center where people can learn about the area’s history and natural resources.
Project architect Jay White said it’s unusual to find so many original building materials still in place, including the large fireplace.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.