Mark W. WhitneyDecember 27,2013Mark S. Whitney
HERKIMER, N.Y. — Mark S. Whitney, 64, of Herkimer and formerly of Vermont, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, December 18, 2013.
He was born April 15, 1949, in Springfield, Vermont, the son of Donald S. Whitney and the late Corinne (Bingham) Whitney. Mark was a graduate of Springfield High School, class of 1967, and also attended Parsons School of Design in New York City.
Mr. Whitney was a United States Army veteran, enlisting on April 1, 1969, and was honorably discharged on November 21, 1973, with the rank of Private First Class.
Mark was a very gifted artist and had been employed doing what he loved, making artistically designed signs throughout the valley. In his leisure, he enjoyed downhill and cross-country skiing and biking.
He was a member of the New Life Church in Herkimer.
Survivors include his father, Donald of North Springfield, Vermont; three sisters, Melanie A. Whitney of St. Augustine, Florida, Paula Whitney of Springfield, Vermont, and Lisa M. Whitney of Burlington, Vermont; one aunt, five cousins and one nephew.
A memorial service will be held in the spring at a time to be announced.
Arrangements have been entrusted to the Vincent A. Enea Funeral Service, 20 Bridge St., St. Johnsville, NY, 518-568-7040. To add to Mark’s online memorial, please go to www.vincenteneafuneralservice.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?