Town to close bridge during fixDecember 27,2013@$ID/NormalParagraphStyle:Town to close
bridge during fix
GUILFORD — The Select Board in Guilford has decided to close a bridge over Route 5 while it is being replaced rather than allowing restricted traffic flow across the span during replacement.
The Guilford board voted 2-1 in favor of the recommendation of the Vermont Agency of Transportation to close the bridge for about a month.
State officials maintain closing the bridge will reduce costs and shorten the length of the project.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that the 88-year-old concrete bridge, which carries an average of 2,400 vehicles daily over Broad Brook, is too narrow and is structurally deficient.
Route 5 traffic would be detoured onto Interstate 91, while a separate detour would be made available for bicyclists who cannot use the highway.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.