Town to close bridge during fixDecember 27,2013@$ID/NormalParagraphStyle:Town to close
bridge during fix
GUILFORD — The Select Board in Guilford has decided to close a bridge over Route 5 while it is being replaced rather than allowing restricted traffic flow across the span during replacement.
The Guilford board voted 2-1 in favor of the recommendation of the Vermont Agency of Transportation to close the bridge for about a month.
State officials maintain closing the bridge will reduce costs and shorten the length of the project.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that the 88-year-old concrete bridge, which carries an average of 2,400 vehicles daily over Broad Brook, is too narrow and is structurally deficient.
Route 5 traffic would be detoured onto Interstate 91, while a separate detour would be made available for bicyclists who cannot use the highway.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.