Rhoby H. ConantJanuary 11,2014
Rhoby H. ConantRhoby H. Conant
BURLINGTON — Rhoby Hiram Conant, 96, died Thursday, Dec. 26, 2013, at Burlington Health and Rehabilitation Center.
He, and his twin sister, Rheuby, were born Nov. 9, 1917, in Burlington, the children of Samuel B. and Nina A. (Thurber) Conant.
He graduated from Burlington High School and received his accounting degree from Champlain Business College.
Mr. Conant served during World War II with the U.S. Army in the Philippines.
He married Cecile Jeanette Berard on Aug. 4, 1942, in Bennington.
He worked for Rutland Railroad from 1948 to 1968. He was the railroad’s last treasurer. Mr. Conant later worked for F.W. Whitcomb Co. in North Walpole, N.H., for 13 years, retiring in 1982.
Mr. Conant enjoyed gardening, trout fishing and traveling.
Survivors include two sons, Jay Conant of Milford, N.H., and Glenn Conant of Milton; two granddaughters and two great-granddaughters; numerous nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by five siblings and in 1993, by his wife.
The memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, at the Minor Funeral and Cremation Center.
Memorial contributions may be made to Camp Ta-Kum-Ta, PO Box 459, South Hero, VT 05486.
For online condolences, visit www.minorfh.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.