Guard unit to receive awardJanuary 11,2014Guard unit to
BURLINGTON — About 600 members of the Vermont Army National Guard will be honored Sunday for their bravery while fighting insurgents in Afghanistan in 2010.
The 3rd Battalion, 172nd Infantry is being recognized for extraordinary heroism in Paktya province in eastern Afghanistan.
The guard unit is receiving the Valorous Unit Award, the second-highest unit award given by the Army, below only the Presidential Unit Citation.
The ceremony will take place at 9 a.m. at the Shapiro Field House, Norwich University.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Sunday’s ceremony also will honor combat medic Sgt. Michael Mulcahy, who will receive the Bronze Star Medal for Valor for his service while stationed at Combat Outpost Herrera.
The infantry units were made up mostly of Vermonters but included soldiers from New Hampshire and Maine.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.