Search for Fair Haven man continuesJanuary 21,2014By Darren Marcy
The search continued Tuesday for a missing Fair Haven man who disappeared early Saturday morning while walking along Route 149 near the New York/Vermont state line.
Jonathan Schaff left a Granville, N.Y., bar about 4:30 a.m. where he had been in a fight earlier.
He and two other people were walking to a car parked east of the bar in a trucking company parking lot just across the state line. When the other two stopped for a moment, Schaff kept walking, and was never seen again.
The Vermont State Police conducted an air search Tuesday with an Army National Guard helicopter.
Lt. Michael Manley of the Vermont State Police said the search checked rivers, fields and roads in the area without any success.
The search perimeter also expanded 5 to 6 miles beyond the initial search area, which has focused on the area around the state line on Route 149 and logical paths of travel from that area.
Manley also asked that anyone living within about 5 miles of that area check their property, looking in any sheds, vehicles and other places a person might have sought shelter.
With temperatures dropping below zero overnight, searchers said weather is the top concern for Schaff.MORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.