Search for Fair Haven man continuesJanuary 21,2014By Darren Marcy
The search continued Tuesday for a missing Fair Haven man who disappeared early Saturday morning while walking along Route 149 near the New York/Vermont state line.
Jonathan Schaff left a Granville, N.Y., bar about 4:30 a.m. where he had been in a fight earlier.
He and two other people were walking to a car parked east of the bar in a trucking company parking lot just across the state line. When the other two stopped for a moment, Schaff kept walking, and was never seen again.
The Vermont State Police conducted an air search Tuesday with an Army National Guard helicopter.
Lt. Michael Manley of the Vermont State Police said the search checked rivers, fields and roads in the area without any success.
The search perimeter also expanded 5 to 6 miles beyond the initial search area, which has focused on the area around the state line on Route 149 and logical paths of travel from that area.
Manley also asked that anyone living within about 5 miles of that area check their property, looking in any sheds, vehicles and other places a person might have sought shelter.
With temperatures dropping below zero overnight, searchers said weather is the top concern for Schaff.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.