Public hearing set on Vt forced medication billThe Associated Press | January 28,2014MONTPELIER — Two Vermont Senate committees want to hear from the public about a bill that would change the procedures for requiring some mental patients to take psychiatric medications against their will.
Lawmakers have heard from hospitals and mental health officials that the state needs to speed up its legal process for involuntary medication and treatment.
Among other changes the bill proposes is substituting a mandatory hearing for a voluntary hearing to determine if the person is in need of treatment. It also would create an expedited application for such treatment.
A public hearing will be held Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. in Room 11 of the Statehouse in Montpelier.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.