Vt. man charged with murder found incompetentJanuary 28,2014The Associated Press
BURLINGTON -- A judge has determined that a man accused of killing a Vermont social worker in her Burlington home in 2010 is incompetent to stand trial.
Jose Pazos has undergone several psychological evaluations since he was arrested.
The 48-year-old Pazos has said he is competent to stand trial and to represent himself.
Deputy Chittenden County State's Attorney Mary Morrissey said Monday the state will argue for Pazos' hospitalization so he can receive medication that eventually would enable him to be competent, the Burlington Free Press reports.
Pazos is accused of killing Kathleen Smith on Nov. 9, 2010. Friends of Smith told police he held a grudge against her over a custody dispute involving his child.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes for fiction and biography. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and staff writer Brent Curtis discuss some of the stories... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.