Missing Sunderland boy found safeJanuary 28,2014SUNDERLAND - Zachary Lee, a 12-year-old boy who was the subject of an Amber Alert issued on Monday was found alive and well around 11:30 p.m. on Monday in a New Hampshire hotel. His biological mother was taken into custody for questioning, police said.
Lee was reported missing from his foster home on North Road in Sunderland on Monday, at around 4:45 p.m., when he did not arrive home from school after being dropped off by the bus.
An Amber Alert was issued around 8:35 p.m. and numerous law enforcement officials participated in the search.
In a press release, the Vermont State Police said they got word around 10:30 p.m. on Monday that Lee had been seen in the company of his biological mother, Patricia Kane, 49, and his sister, Martha Lee, 17, at a restaurant in Hanover, N.H. Law enforcement officers ultimately located the three at a hotel in Lyme, N.H.
Kane, was taken into custody without incident for questioning about the disappearance of her son. Charges may be forthcoming stemming from the investigation being conducted by the Vermont State Police and in conjunction with the Bennington County State's Attorney's Office.
In earlier press releases, police said Lee had been recently repatriated from France. They said they were concerned because of his age and because he had only been in the Sunderland area since Jan. 14 so he was not familiar with Southern Vermont.
At the time, Kane was a suspect in Lee's disappearance.
“This is based on a documented history of such attempts while the child was in the custody of the Republic of France,” police said in a press release.
Police said staff with the Vermont Department of Children and Families, as well as school employees, had reported that Kane had been “highly unstable and volatile” since Lee arrived in the U.S.
“All treatment team members have been working together to help safeguard against possible attempts to abscond with him,” police said.
In the press release, the Vermont State Police extended “their sincere appreciation for the help of countless law enforcement agencies, private citizens and the press in the dissemination of information and efforts in locating Zachary.”MORE IN This Just InTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York? 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?