Change to VHIEP will reduce feesJanuary 30,2014Change to VHIEP
will reduce fees
Families that use the state’s 529 college savings plan will soon be able to save just a little bit more.
The 14,000 account holders with the Vermont Higher Education Investment Plan (VHIEP) will see a reduction in the amount of fees they have to pay under the program. The change is projected to save account holders approximately $100,000 annually.
Nearly every state offers some sort of 529 college savings plan, which is named after the provision in the IRS tax code that allows states to offer tax incentives to save for college. Vermont provides a nonrefundable tax credit of 10 percent of the first $2,500 contributed per beneficiary, per year.
VHIEP, which began in 1999, has $225 million in assets. To date, 3,470 students have used more than $78 million from VHEIP accounts to pay for education or training after high school.
In 2012, $36 million was invested into VHEIP, with about $1.8 million realized in tax credits.
VHEIP accounts can be started with as little as $25. For more information, visit www.vheip.org or call (800) 637-5860.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.