Change to VHIEP will reduce feesJanuary 30,2014Change to VHIEP
will reduce fees
Families that use the stateís 529 college savings plan will soon be able to save just a little bit more.
The 14,000 account holders with the Vermont Higher Education Investment Plan (VHIEP) will see a reduction in the amount of fees they have to pay under the program. The change is projected to save account holders approximately $100,000 annually.
Nearly every state offers some sort of 529 college savings plan, which is named after the provision in the IRS tax code that allows states to offer tax incentives to save for college. Vermont provides a nonrefundable tax credit of 10 percent of the first $2,500 contributed per beneficiary, per year.
VHIEP, which began in 1999, has $225 million in assets. To date, 3,470 students have used more than $78 million from VHEIP accounts to pay for education or training after high school.
In 2012, $36 million was invested into VHEIP, with about $1.8 million realized in tax credits.
VHEIP accounts can be started with as little as $25. For more information, visit www.vheip.org or call (800) 637-5860.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.