Three arrested for heroin trafficking with child in carStaff Report | February 05,2014SPRINGFIELD — Two men and a woman were arrested in Springfield in the early morning hours today on charges of trafficking $15,000 worth of heroin and possession of cocaine and marijuana following a traffic stop.
Juan Rodriguez, Jose Rodriguez and Samantha Eldred were held at the Southern State Correctional Facility for lack of $75,000 bail.
State police stopped two vehicles - a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2002 Chrysler 300 - on northbound Interstate 91 in Springfield for defective equipment violations. Twenty-five-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Barre was driving the Accord; 26-year-old Eldred, also of Barre, was driving the Chrysler. In her car was 20-year-old Jose Rodriguez of Cabot and her 2-year-old stepson.
Police said all were related and had just returned from Hartford, Conn. There was an arrest warrant for Juan Rodriguez.
During a consented search of the Chrysler, police found 740 bags of heroin, an eighth of an ounce of cocaine, and about an ounce of marijuana in a bag wrapped in black electrical tape that was stuffed in a deflated spare tire in the trunk, behind the child's car seat. .
The three are due in criminal court today at 12:30 p.m. to answer to the charges.MORE IN This Just InTRENTON, N.J. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,