Three arrested for heroin trafficking with child in carStaff Report | February 05,2014SPRINGFIELD — Two men and a woman were arrested in Springfield in the early morning hours today on charges of trafficking $15,000 worth of heroin and possession of cocaine and marijuana following a traffic stop.
Juan Rodriguez, Jose Rodriguez and Samantha Eldred were held at the Southern State Correctional Facility for lack of $75,000 bail.
State police stopped two vehicles - a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2002 Chrysler 300 - on northbound Interstate 91 in Springfield for defective equipment violations. Twenty-five-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Barre was driving the Accord; 26-year-old Eldred, also of Barre, was driving the Chrysler. In her car was 20-year-old Jose Rodriguez of Cabot and her 2-year-old stepson.
Police said all were related and had just returned from Hartford, Conn. There was an arrest warrant for Juan Rodriguez.
During a consented search of the Chrysler, police found 740 bags of heroin, an eighth of an ounce of cocaine, and about an ounce of marijuana in a bag wrapped in black electrical tape that was stuffed in a deflated spare tire in the trunk, behind the child's car seat. .
The three are due in criminal court today at 12:30 p.m. to answer to the charges.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.