Three arrested for heroin trafficking with child in carStaff Report | February 05,2014SPRINGFIELD — Two men and a woman were arrested in Springfield in the early morning hours today on charges of trafficking $15,000 worth of heroin and possession of cocaine and marijuana following a traffic stop.
Juan Rodriguez, Jose Rodriguez and Samantha Eldred were held at the Southern State Correctional Facility for lack of $75,000 bail.
State police stopped two vehicles - a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2002 Chrysler 300 - on northbound Interstate 91 in Springfield for defective equipment violations. Twenty-five-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Barre was driving the Accord; 26-year-old Eldred, also of Barre, was driving the Chrysler. In her car was 20-year-old Jose Rodriguez of Cabot and her 2-year-old stepson.
Police said all were related and had just returned from Hartford, Conn. There was an arrest warrant for Juan Rodriguez.
During a consented search of the Chrysler, police found 740 bags of heroin, an eighth of an ounce of cocaine, and about an ounce of marijuana in a bag wrapped in black electrical tape that was stuffed in a deflated spare tire in the trunk, behind the child's car seat. .
The three are due in criminal court today at 12:30 p.m. to answer to the charges.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.