Three arrested for heroin trafficking with child in carStaff Report | February 05,2014SPRINGFIELD — Two men and a woman were arrested in Springfield in the early morning hours today on charges of trafficking $15,000 worth of heroin and possession of cocaine and marijuana following a traffic stop.
Juan Rodriguez, Jose Rodriguez and Samantha Eldred were held at the Southern State Correctional Facility for lack of $75,000 bail.
State police stopped two vehicles - a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2002 Chrysler 300 - on northbound Interstate 91 in Springfield for defective equipment violations. Twenty-five-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Barre was driving the Accord; 26-year-old Eldred, also of Barre, was driving the Chrysler. In her car was 20-year-old Jose Rodriguez of Cabot and her 2-year-old stepson.
Police said all were related and had just returned from Hartford, Conn. There was an arrest warrant for Juan Rodriguez.
During a consented search of the Chrysler, police found 740 bags of heroin, an eighth of an ounce of cocaine, and about an ounce of marijuana in a bag wrapped in black electrical tape that was stuffed in a deflated spare tire in the trunk, behind the child's car seat. .
The three are due in criminal court today at 12:30 p.m. to answer to the charges.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?