Three arrested for heroin trafficking with child in carStaff Report | February 05,2014SPRINGFIELD — Two men and a woman were arrested in Springfield in the early morning hours today on charges of trafficking $15,000 worth of heroin and possession of cocaine and marijuana following a traffic stop.
Juan Rodriguez, Jose Rodriguez and Samantha Eldred were held at the Southern State Correctional Facility for lack of $75,000 bail.
State police stopped two vehicles - a 1997 Honda Accord and a 2002 Chrysler 300 - on northbound Interstate 91 in Springfield for defective equipment violations. Twenty-five-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Barre was driving the Accord; 26-year-old Eldred, also of Barre, was driving the Chrysler. In her car was 20-year-old Jose Rodriguez of Cabot and her 2-year-old stepson.
Police said all were related and had just returned from Hartford, Conn. There was an arrest warrant for Juan Rodriguez.
During a consented search of the Chrysler, police found 740 bags of heroin, an eighth of an ounce of cocaine, and about an ounce of marijuana in a bag wrapped in black electrical tape that was stuffed in a deflated spare tire in the trunk, behind the child's car seat. .
The three are due in criminal court today at 12:30 p.m. to answer to the charges.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Storm takes out power for 60,000 Vermonters; state gets $33M to fund pre-K education; Springfield board OKs fund to demolish blighted buildings, voters have final say; George Nostrand runs down coming events.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1041, adopted son of Empress Zoe Porphyrogenita of Byzantium succeeds to throne of Eastern Roman Empire; in 1907, English medical students riot over anti-vivisection statue of little brown dog in Battersea, London.