Police: Pot shot at deer hits truckFebruary 06,2014Driver fires shot
at deer, hits truck
MONKTON — Someone took an illegal shot through their truck window at a deer early Wednesday, but hit another vehicle on the road instead, police said.
Michael Deforge, 30, of Essex Junction told Vermont State Police he was driving on the Monkton-Vergennes Road after midnight when he came upon another truck that had stopped for a deer that crossed the road.
The driver of the other truck shot at the deer but missed and hit Deforge’s truck instead, police said.
The shooter then fled, driving northeast on the road, according to Deforge, who was uninjured.
Police did not release a description of the truck but said Deforge had provided details of the other vehicle.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call state police at 388-4919.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.