Man denies theft from elderly kinSTAFF REPORT | February 07,2014BARRE ó A Cabot man has denied stealing $200 from his 101-year-old great-grandmother.
Richard D. Atkinson, 26, pleaded not guilty Thursday in Washington County criminal court in Barre to one count of felony larceny from a person.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $500 fine.
According to a Vermont State Police affidavit, troopers responded to the larceny report in Worcester on Oct. 26. Madeline Bador told state police she awoke to find Atkinson in her house. Bador told state police Atkinson asked to borrow $10, and when she pulled out her money he took it all and ran out the door.
She told police it was not the first time Atkinson had done such a thing.
Police say they looked for a month for Atkinson and eventually found him hiding in a closet when they were told he was seen at a residence on Webster Street in Barre.
When state police interviewed Atkinson, they say, he said he could not remember where he was the night of the incident and was not sure when the last time was he saw his great-grandmother.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.